Public Works Mission Statement
The mission of the Village of Westmont Public Works Department is to provide maintenance of public-owned infrastructure. Public Works is comprised of five divisions:
- Facilities Maintenance
- Fleet Services
- The Administration Division oversees the operation of the department as a whole.
- The Facilities Maintenance Division provides internal support for Village-owned buildings and properties.
- The Fleet Services and Facilities Maintenance Divisions provide internal support for Village vehicles.
- The Streets Division is responsible for a variety of community programs and services as well as providing maintenance for public rights-of-way including most public roadways, sidewalks, parkways, alleys, and municipal-owned lots. The Street Division also oversees the Village’s snow-removal operation.
- The Forestry Unit is part of the of the Public Works Street Division. The Forestry Unit maintains all public parkway trees as well as all the trees on village-owned properties. There are approximately 13,000 public trees that the forestry unit is responsible. Routine maintenance includes trimming, fertilizing, and watering of new plantings. The forester also inspects and checks trees for diseases or insect infestation. Citizens are encouraged to call Public Works if there is a concern regarding any tree located in the village parkway.
- The Water Division is responsible for the maintenance and distribution of a safe, potable water system.
- The mission of the Water Division is to exceed our customers expectations and meet all the State and Federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations regarding drinking water, maintaining adequate fire flows and insure our customers the distribution system and water quality are all of the highest possible level using all the latest technology.
- The Water Division is located at 39 East Burlington Avenue, on the north side of the BNSF Railroad line. One half of the building is home to the Water Treatment Control and Pumping Station. The other half of the building is the Administrative office and Garage area. One aspect the division does not handle is water billing, which is handled by the Village Clerk’s Office, located in the Village Hall at 31 West Quincy.
- The Village’s drinking water comes from Lake Michigan via The City of Chicago. From Lake Michigan, the water is piped to the Jardine Plant where all the primary treatment occurs. From there, the DuPage Water Commission supplements the treatment process with chlorine. Finally the water is distributed to Westmont and other Villages that are on the Commission’s system. Westmont has been receiving water from Lake Michigan since February 1992. Prior to this time, Westmont had seven underground wells to provide drinking water to the customers.
- The Water Division performs, on average, 40 daily water tests and 28 Monthly Bac-t Tests to ensure that the water is the best quality and safe to drink. There are over 1343 fire hydrants, 1200 valves, and 91 miles of water main maintained throughout the Village.
Public Works Professional Associations
Westmont Public Works has numerous relationships with professional associations so to ensure good communication regarding current best practices in the area of Public Works. Some of the professional organizations with which Westmont is associated include: APWA, ASCE, AWWA, ITE, NSPE, and more.
Awards & Recognitions
Over the years, the Westmont Public Works Department and various staff members have received numerous accolades. Following are some of these recognitions:
Public Works Annual Report
Each year, the Westmont Public Works Department prepares an Annual Report, which highlights the key initiatives, projects, programs, and accomplishments from the past year. PDFs of the annual reports can be found in the Public Works Documents & Forms folder.
Notice of Prevailing Wage Rates
LEGAL NOTICE - NOTICE OF ORDINANCE Number: 18-086 PREVAILING WAGE RATES
TAKE NOTICE that the Board of Trustees of the Village of Westmont, pursuant to "An Act regulating wages of laborers, mechanics and other workers employed in any public works by the State, County, City or any public body or any political subdivision or by anyone under contract for public works," approved June 26, 1941, as amended, the general prevailing rate of wages in this locality for laborers, mechanics, and other workers engaged in the construction of public works coming under the jurisdiction of the Village of Westmont is hereby ascertained to be the same as the County area as determined by the Department of Labor of the State of Illinois, the last available copy effective September 2017 which amended in both April 11, 2018 and May 24, 2018. The adoption by the Village of Westmont shall include any minor amendments made from time to time by the County.
A copy of the full Ordinance and the Department of Labor determination is available for inspection by any interested party in the main office of the Village of Westmont, 31 W Quincy Street, Westmont, IL 60559, and to any employer; association of employers and any person of employee or association of employees who have filed, or file their names and addresses, requesting copies of the same.
Village of Westmont
31 W Quincy Street
Westmont, IL 60559
By: Village Clerk Szymski