PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING CHANGES
- Beginning November 1, 2019 – Fire Department "deferred" submittals are no longer acceptable - all plans shall be submitted for review at the start of a project along with any other plan sets. Permits will not be issued until all plan reviews are approved.
- Beginning January 1, 2020 – All permit submittals will require a non-refundable application fee of .4% (.004) of the construction cost (minimum fee $100). Applications submitted without this fee will not be accepted. (For example, any projects with a construction cost of $25,000 or lower will be the minimum fee of $100)
Building Permit FAQ
The Community Development Department has created this helpful FAQ slideshow to assist residents and developers with frequently asked questions.
To obtain an express permit (permits which can be issued without a formal review process), the below requirements must be met:
- Contractor(s) must be currently registered PRIOR to applying for permits
- Submittal must be complete (all documentation, property owner signature & contractor signature are required)
- Application fee is due at the time of the submittal ($100). Any remaining balance for permit fee and/or inspection fee(s) are due at time of permit issuance.
- Please be aware, Express Permits may take up to 1 full business day to process, depending upon volume of work load.
Projects Requiring Permits
Many home and business (commercial) renovation and remodeling projects require a permit before work begins - contact us if you have questions as to whether or not your project requires a permit. Projects that require Building Permits include, but are not limited to the following:
- Additions & covered porches
- Antennas (commercial)
- Decks and pergolas
- Electrical (and services/upgrades)
- Fences - if installed, repaired/replaced more than 8 linear feet
- Flat work: asphalt, concrete and pavers - driveways, patios, walks, etc.
- HVAC and other mechanicals
- Landscaping that affects drainage and flood ways
- Masonry replacement/repair
- New accessory buildings and structures
- New principal buildings and structures
- Pergolas and porches
- Remodeling, renovations, or repairs
- Roofing - repairs and tear offs
- Water heaters
- Windows and exterior doors
Permit Applications & Specification Guidelines
Visit the Document Center to print out copies of required submittal documents such as:
- General Permit Application - Required with every construction/installation project along with pertinent Specifications Sheets)
- Deck Specification
- Electric Car Charger Specifications
- Fence Specifications
- Flatwork Specifications - Driveways, Patios, Walkways
- Hen Coop Specifications
- Parking Lot Specifications
- Pool and Spa Specifications
- Roof Specifications
- Shed Specifications
- Sign Specifications
- Solar Specifications - Panel Array
- Tent Permit
- See Document Center for a comprehensive list of all specification guidelines
DuPage County Pinfinder-Parcel Viewer
Inspections are required for determination of compliance with submitted plans for all projects and it is the responsibility of the Permittee to notify the Community Development Department to schedule any, and all, inspections. For projects triggering Construction Certificate(s) of Occupancy, these will NOT be issued without approval of any or all the required building, engineering, fire, water or zoning inspections.
- Inspection requests shall be made by 3:00 pm at least one (1) business day prior to the intended scheduled date.
- Inspections are performed Monday through Friday during our normal business hours; and are scheduled either "a.m." or "p.m.".
- All approved plans and necessary equipment must be on site and made available to Inspectors.
- "Final Inspections" are required for ALL Permits issued.
- Failure to call for an inspection may result in forfeiting part of/all of cash bond and the Permit and may be considered a violation of the Building Code.
- The minimum charge for any Residential inspection, or missed inspection, or re-inspection shall be fifty dollars ($50.00). Commercial inspection, missed inspection, or re-inspection is one hundred dollars ($100.00)
- At least one (1) inspection is required within any six (6) month period, or the Permit becomes invalid.
If you have any questions regarding permits and inspections, please contact the Community Development Department at the Village Hall, 31 W. Quincy, 1st floor, or call 630-981-6250.