- Sales Tax
"Sales tax" is imposed on a seller’s receipts from sales of tangible personal property for use or consumption. Tangible personal property does not include real estate, stocks, bonds, or other "paper" assets.
Local Sales Tax Rate
As can be seen from the Illinois Tax Rate Finder, the general merchandise tax rate in Westmont is 7.5% (Effective June 1, 2016) and the State rate is 6.25%.
Sales Tax Rate Categories
Illinois has three primary sales tax rate categories:
- Qualifying Food, Drug, and Medical Appliances
- General Merchandise
Additional information on what is included in each of these categories is on the Illinois Department of Revenue’s Sales and Use Taxes webpage.
Village’s Portion of Sales Tax
- For qualifying food and drug sales, the current sales tax in Westmont is 1.75%. The Village receives the 1% portion of this tax. If someone spends $100 on qualifying food and drugs, $1.75 is remitted to the state. Of this money, the Village receives $1.
- For titled vehicles, the current tax rate in Westmont is 7.00%. The Village receives the 1% portion of this tax. For every $100 someone spends on a titled vehicle, the State collects $7.00, of which $1 is remitted to the Village.
- For general merchandise, the current tax rate in Westmont is 7.5%.
1% of this revenue goes to the Village of Westmont general fund.
0.5% of this revenue goes specifically to the Stormwater-Infrastructure Program.
If someone spends $100 on general merchandise, the State collects $7.5. Of this, $1 is remitted to the Village for general revenue and 50 cents is remitted to the Village for the Stormwater-Infrastructure Program.
Additional Sales Tax Information
- Information on tax rates, and what makes up the tax rates, can be found on the Illinois Tax Rate Finder
- Information on sales taxes can be found on the Illinois Department of Revenue’s Sales and Use Taxes webpage.
- Information on sales and other taxes can be found on the Illinois Department of Revenue’s homepage.