News Flash Home
The original item was published from 12/5/2019 1:00:50 PM to 12/5/2019 1:01:17 PM.
General Press Releases
Posted on: December 5, 2019
[ARCHIVED] “Keep the Wreath Red” Holiday Program
Date Issued: December 7, 2019
The Westmont Fire Department reminds residents to assist them with the “Keep the Wreath Red” program. “Keep the Wreath Red” program is an annual event aimed at increasing the awareness of safety while decorating our homes for the holidays. Outside both Fire Stations, is a wreath with red lights. The wreaths remain lit twenty-four hours a day during the holiday season December 1 through Jan 2. If a fire occurs that is determined to be the result of a holiday decoration, a white bulb replaces a red bulb on the wreath. The hope is the wreath will serve as a constant reminder to practice safety while displaying holiday decorations.
The following are some safety practices to keep in mind this holiday season.
If you have any fire safety questions, please contact the Westmont Fire Department at 630-981-6400.
- Cut two to three inches off the bottom of a fresh tree and put in water immediately, water daily.
- Use no more than three standard size sets of lights per single extension cord. Do not run extension cords under rugs.
- Place tree away from fireplaces, radiators, or other heat sources.
- Turn off all tree and display lights before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Have your chimney professionally inspected and cleaned at least once a year.
- Carbon Monoxide gases can be emitted from a smoldering fire. Be sure fires are fully extinguished before going to bed.
- Never burn wrapping paper, boxes, etc. in the fireplace. They burn too rapidly and generate far too much heat.
- Do not hang stockings from mantel when fireplace is in use.
- Never use lighted candles on a tree. Keep candles away from decorations and wrapping paper.
- Put candles in sturdy holders on a stable surface, well away from drafts, curtains, children and pets.
- Keep wicks trimmed to ¼ inch at all times. This inhibits carbon build up.
- Remove labels and tags from candles before burning.
Contact: Larry McIntyre
Village of Westmont
Communications Director/Public Information Officer