News Flash Home
The original item was published from 4/10/2020 12:05:30 PM to 4/10/2020 12:07:00 PM.
General Press Releases
Posted on: April 10, 2020
[ARCHIVED] I Love Local Campaign Encourages Residents to Shop Westmont
Date Issued: April 10, 2020
The Westmont Chamber is joining chambers and small businesses across the State of Illinois to launch the I Love Local campaign to encourage people to support local businesses April 11 to 18, 2020. While the Illinois Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives is leading efforts to unite chambers across the state in the initiative, the Westmont Chamber is taking a leadership role in our community.
“Our local businesses are the heart and soul of this community,” explained Larry Forssberg, Westmont Chamber Executive Director. “People from our local and neighboring communities come to Westmont for the unique products and services they provide. We want our local businesses to survive this shut-down.”
According to FEMA, approximately half of the small businesses that close after a disaster never reopen. “People across the state are staying home to save lives; we want to ensure that small businesses can save their livelihoods,” said Lisa Weitzel, President of Illinois Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives.
Money spent at a local business has a much greater positive impact on the local economy compared to shopping at a mega e-retailer. Small businesses provide communities with good jobs, quality service, and the character that makes cities, towns and neighborhoods feel like home. Collectively small, local businesses are the states’ largest employer. Small businesses employ more than half of the working class in the United States.
• Follow social distancing guidelines and stay home as much as possible.
• Buy Local. Find out if your favorite local store has an online shop or reach out to them to
find out how you can purchase now for pick up later.
• Buy gift cards to use later.
• Take online virtual classes from your favorite local business.
• Get takeout/delivery. Visit Westmont restaurants at:
• Consider buying lunch/dinner for the first responders, you will help your local restaurants
and the people who serve us all.
• Buy gift cards from local businesses for your favorite waiter/waitress/bartender.
• Like and share your favorite local businesses social media post. Once you’ve purchased a gift card or meal, take a picture of it, share it on your social media and hashtag #IloveIllinois OR use #shopsmall #shopillinois #Illinoisstrong #AllInIllinois
• Maintain your memberships
• To get started, check out Westmontchamber.com and the Westmont Chamber Business Directory
For more information on the I Love Local campaign, visit:
Contact: Larry McIntyre
Village of Westmont