Date Issued: September 2, 2020
So far, the US Census Bureau.has only received a 74.5% census response from Village of Westmont residents. Time is running out - please help Westmont receive the funding it deserves for its community infrastructure, area health facilities, first responders, education programs, and more. If you are a renter or homeowner, newborn or grandparent, life-long resident or new to the community, then you should be counted in the US Census.
The Census is quick and easy to fill out. There are three ways to respond:
- By phone: English - 844-330-2020; Spanish - 844-468-2020; Chinese (Mandarin) - 844-391-2020; Polish - 844-479-2020
- By mail: mail back the questionnaire that was sent to your home
Census Takers in your Neighborhood
Census takers have started visiting homes in Westmont that have not yet responded to the 2020 Census. Please be cooperative with Census takers while they are interviewing households to record your census data. Census takers will make up to six attempts at each housing unit address to count possible residents.
What To Expect
Census takers will wear masks and follow local public health guidelines when they visit your home. All census takers complete a virtual COVID-19 training on social distancing and other health and safety protocols before beginning their work in neighborhoods. If the census taker who visits your home does not speak your language, you may request a return visit from a census taker who does speak your language.
What a Census Taker Will or Will Not Do
A Census Taker WILL:
- Carry a white, government-issued ID card with official U.S. Census Bureau seal and their name handwritten on it and/or a black shoulder bag with “U.S. Census Bureau” written on it.
- Introduce themselves and show you the confidentiality statement.
- Have a flashcard containing a sentence about the 2020 Census written in approximately 50 languages.
- Provide contact information for a supervisor and/or the Local Census Office for verification, if asked.
- Ask only the questions that are on the questionnaire.
A Census Taker WILL NOT:
- Ask to enter your home.
- Ask about your Social Security number or immigration status.
- Ask for your income, bank account number, or other financial information.
- Ask for PINs or passwords.
- Ask for a donation or money.
How Can You Verify That Someone Is a Census Taker?
If someone visits your home this year to collect information for the 2020 Census, check to make sure they have a valid ID badge with their photograph, a U.S. Department of Commerce watermark, and an expiration date. Census workers may also carry Census Bureau bags and other equipment with the Census Bureau logo. If you still have questions about their identity, you can speak with a Census Bureau representative by calling 312-579-1500.
For more information about the 2020 Census or how to fill out your census questionnaire please visit the 2020 Census website.
Contact: Larry McIntyre
Village of Westmont
Communications Director/Public Information Officer