Westmont, Illinois -- Date Issued: August 4, 2021
The Westmont Fire and Police Departments are partnering with the DuPage County Health Department to provide a prescription drug drop box in the lobby of the Police-Fire facility located at 500 N. Cass Avenue. Residents will have access to the RxBOX during regular Police Department office hours when the lobby is open, Monday thru Friday from 8am-4pm. RxBOX is a convenient and accessible way for citizens to dispose of unwanted medications that might otherwise be misused or end up in our waterways or landfills.
“This new program provides a great opportunity for our community,” said Deputy Fire Chief Kevin O’Hare, who assisted with securing Westmont as an RxBOX location. “Proper disposal of unused medications protects the environment and saves lives.” Citizens are encouraged to dispose of their unwanted prescription drugs using the RxBOX. The medications will then be incinerated in collaboration with the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency.
- Bring household medication including over-the-counter, prescription medications, inhalers, ointments and liquid medications that are expired or no longer wanted.
- All medications must be contained in a zip-seal type bag prior to disposal.
- If you plan to recycle the original container/packaging, remove any personal information on the label to reduce concerns about personal identification information.
- Deposit your medications in the white collection container marked "RxBOX". Do not dispose of medication in the green collection container for “sharps.”
Items Not Accepted
The following items are NOT accepted in the RxBOX:
- NO household chemical waste
- NO medical waste
- NO radioactive medicines
NON sharps, needles, or epinephrine pens are accepted in the RxBOX, however, there is a Sharps Disposal Kiosk in the Police-Fire facility lobby at 500 N. Cass Avenue. Check out our Police Department FAQ for more information regarding sharps disposal. https://westmont.illinois.gov/504/FAQs
View RxBOX Locations in DuPage County.
RxBOX Locations and Details.
For additional information, contact the Westmont Police Department at 630-981-6300.