Westmont, Illinois -- Date Issued: January 3, 2022
Updated: March 18, 2022
Waste Management (WM) will once again offer a composting/yard waste pickup program for Westmont residents. The Westmont Composting Pickup Program is an optional service for residents who want to make a positive impact on their local environment and be responsible for the waste they generate. The program will begin the first full week of April and continue through the end of the second full week in December. In 2022, the start and end dates are April 4 and December 16.
"There can be an economic benefit to residents who already put out landscape bags with stickers on them,” said Glenn Gabryel, EIC Committee Volunteer. “This program allows for kitchen compost to be added into your yard waste bag or container at no additional cost." Please note that yard waste containers require lids and all yard waste pickups require a sticker.
The environmental benefits of composting include:
- Enriches soil, helps retain moisture and suppress plant diseases and pests.
- Reduces the need for chemical fertilizers.
- Encourages the production of beneficial bacteria and fungi that break down organic matter to create humus, a rich nutrient-filled material.
- Reduces methane emissions from landfills and lowers your carbon footprint.
COMPOSTING PICKUP PROGRAM OPTIONS
- Residents can purchase and utilize their own 32-gallon container with a lid to serve as the receptacle for their lawn waste and/or accepted composting materials. Each resident-provided compost/yard waste container requires (1) yard waste sticker for each pick-up and must not weigh more than 45 lbs. Yard waste stickers currently cost $3.46 each.
- Residents may rent a 64-gallon or 96-gallon wheeled organics toter from Waste Management (WM). Rented toters do not require a sticker and can be used for yard waste and accepted composting materials. In 2022, the cost to rent the WM organics toter is $149.94 for the year.
ACCEPTED COMPOST MATERIALS
Following is a list of compostable items that are accepted in this program:
- Lawn waste
- Fruits & vegetables - includes unpainted holiday pumpkins
- Leftovers/kitchen scraps - includes coffee grounds, tea bags and filters
- Breads, grains, pasta & cereal
- Meat, poultry, seafood - includes shells & bones
- Dairy solids & eggs - includes egg shells; liquids are NOT accepted
- Food-soiled paper products - includes paper towels, plates, napkins, egg cartons, pizza boxes
- Newspaper can be used to wrap compostables - compostable & biodegradable plastic bags are NOT accepted
Be sure to contact Waste Management for current information as program details and associated costs are updated on occasion. For more information and to sign up for the Composting/Yard Waste Pickup Program, call 1-800-964-8988.