Westmont, Illinois -- Date Issued: February 9, 2022
SCARCE is hosting a "Sustainable Saturday" collection event Saturday, March 19, 2022, 9:00 a.m. to Noon at Benedictine University in the Rice Center Parking Lot at 5700 College Road in Lisle. Participants are asked to enter the collection event from Maple Avenue. The School & Community Assistance for Recycling and Composting Education (SCARCE) not for profit organization strives to provide DuPage County with environmental-friendly educational resources and programs.
Items Accepted Include:
- Electronics (such as desktop and laptop computers, mice, keyboards, modems, cable boxes, converter boxes, satellite receivers, telephone and mobile devices, tape players, gaming consoles, power cords and network cables, chargers, VCRs, DVD players, fax machines, scanners and printers, tablets and portable music players).
- TVs and computer monitors (for a small fee $25 - $35, depending on size)
- Vinyl records
- Brita brand products (filters, pitcher, water bottle, packaging, etc.)
- Polystyrene foam #6 (used for packaging and food service)
- Eye glasses, hearing aids, and old keys
- Books, rulers, crayons and bread tags
- CDs & DVDs (discs only, no plastic cases)
- Household (A, AA, AAA, C and D) and dry cell batteries
- Large SLA batteries (car, boat and sump pump, etc.)
- Holiday lights including mini-lights (or Italian lights), C7 lights, C9 lights, rope lights and LED lights. Garland and wreaths will not be accepted.
- Fluorescent lamps (linear and CFL)
- Clothes, linens, shoes, sporting goods and more
- Adult Bicycles and gently used kids bikes, helmets, parts and accessories (bikes must be in repairable condition)
- Musical instruments & sheet music
- On-site paper / document shredding (limit of 2 banker/file size boxes or 3 paper shopping bags per vehicle, no binders or plastic bags) sponsored by Lakeshore Recycling
- Latex paint ($1/quart, $3/gallon, $10/5-gallons)
DuPage Habitat for Humanity will also be on site to collect the following accepted items:
- Kitchen Cabinets
- Millwork / Lumber
PLEASE NOTE: No hazardous waste (e.g. oil-based paint, motor oil, air conditioners, refrigerators, etc.) will be accepted.
For more information, please visit the SCARCE website or the Sustainable Saturday webpage.