Westmont, Illinois - Date Issued: January 30, 2023
At the January 26, 2023 Village Board meeting, retiring CUSD201 Superintendent Kevin Carey received a Mayor’s Appreciation Award from Village of Westmont Mayor Ron Gunter. Carey will be retiring this summer after serving in this position for the last 13 years. During Supt. Carey’s tenure, CUSD201 experienced a dramatic change in which all aspects of the school district benefitted from remarkable improvements. Following is a list of accomplishments that occurred during Carey’s tenure:
- Implemented all-day kindergarten
- Implemented a dual-language program—one of the few in the county
- Implemented professional learning communities
- Improved the safety and security of all schools
- Renovated the high school to enclose all open classrooms
- Moved the early childhood program and administrative offices to South School
- Implemented research-based curriculum
- Implemented one-to-one technology
- According to Niche.com, all schools in the district are in the top 10% of Illinois
- The ISBE gave the High School an exemplary rating - the highest possible rating
- Miller, Manning, and the Junior High received commendable ratings from the ISBE - the second highest
- Westmont Junior High School was designated a Horizon School to Watch
- The South School Early Childhood program received the Golden Circle of Quality Award
- Westmont High School has one the most improved A.P. programs in the country
- Westmont High School has received numerous accolades and was named a model PLC, won the DuFour Award, and was named a Blue Ribbon School
- Westmont High School has a 97% overall graduation rate and a 100% graduation rate for Hispanic and African American students
- The Washington Post ranks Westmont High School in the top 1% of high schools in the U.S.
- Maintained these high standards while responding to the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Active member of the Westmont Chamber of Commerce serving on the Chamber Board and served 2 Years as the Chamber President
- Active member of the Westmont-Hsinchu County Sister City Program assisting with the development and execution of numerous programs held at the High School as well as other facilities in addition to assisting with the creation of the very successful student exchange program
Carey was quick to state his appreciation for the opportunity to work with many talented administrators and staff, dedicated board members, and supportive families and community members.
During the presentation, the Village also welcomed the new CUSD201 Superintendent Jack Baldermann to his position. Baldermann has served as the Principal of Westmont High School for the past 11 years and was instrumental in the improvements at WHS as well as the district. Over the years, Balderman received numerous accolades including Illinois Principal of the Year, National Principal of the Year finalist, and a Golden Apple Award. Baldermann was hired after completing a search process that involved input from school staff as well as hundreds of CUSD201 community members.
The Village of Westmont thanks Kevin Carey for his years of service to the community and offers congratulations on his upcoming retirement.