Westmont, Illinois -- Date Issued: February 9, 2023
The Village of Westmont contracts with Waste Management to provide a variety of services. In 2023, Westmont’s Yard Waste, Brush, and Composting Pick-up Programs will begin on Monday, April 3 and continue through Friday, December 15.
YARD WASTE PROGRAM
Yard waste, which is typically grass clippings and leaves, must be placed in kraft paper bags or a container that is 32 gallons or less clearly marked "YARD WASTE". Each yard waste container or kraft bag MUST have a yard waste sticker, which is green in color, placed on them. There is no limit to the number of containers or bags you can place out for pick-up on your regular service day, but each bag or container must have a yard waste sticker attached. Place yard waste next to your garbage cans on the same day as your regular garbage service day.
BRUSH PICK-UP PROGRAM
Waste Management also provides a weekly brush pick-up program that coincides with the Yard Waste Collection Program. Branches and tree limbs must be tied with natural twine into bundles no more than 4 feet long and 1 1/2 feet in diameter. Each bundle must weigh less than fifty (50) pounds. Trees, stumps, and branches larger than 2 inches in diameter cannot be collected as brush. Brush should be placed next to your other refuse on your usual pick-up day. No sticker is required for brush pick-up.
- COMPOST PROGRAM
Residents can purchase and utilize their own 32-gallon container with a lid to serve as the receptacle for their lawn waste and/or accepted composting materials. Each resident-provided compost/yard waste container requires (1) yard waste sticker for each pick-up and must not weigh more than 45 lbs.
- Residents may rent a 64-gallon or 96-gallon wheeled organics toter from WM. Rented toters do not require a sticker and can be used for yard waste and accepted composting materials
- Please contact WM regarding the fee for the organics toter
ACCEPTED COMPOST MATERIALS
Following is a list of items that are accepted in the compost collection program:
- Lawn waste
- Fruits & vegetables - includes unpainted holiday pumpkins
- Leftovers/kitchen scraps - includes coffee grounds, tea bags & filters
- Breads, grains, pasta & cereal
- Meat, poultry, seafood - includes shells & bones
- Dairy solids & eggs - includes egg shells; liquids are NOT accepted
- Food-soiled paper products - includes paper towels, plates, napkins, egg cartons, pizza boxes
- Newspaper can be used to wrap compostables - compostable & biodegradable plastic bags are NOT accepted
Contact Waste Management directly for current information regarding program details and costs. For more information and to sign up for the Compost/Yard Waste collection program, contact Waste Management at wm.com or call 1-800-964-8988.