Village of Westmont
Date Issued: Jan. 15, 2016
To celebrate Westmont’s Tree City USA 20th Anniversary, the Westmont Environmental Improvement Commission (EIC) has announced an Arbor Day Student Art & Essay Contest. The contest is open to all K-12 students who either live in Westmont or attend a school located in Westmont.
“We hope this contest will encourage students to appreciate the beauty and environmental benefits of trees in our community," says EIC Secretary Mary Gabryel. The theme of the Art and Essay Contest is “I Love Trees Because…” Submissions can be made online now through Friday, March 11.
Following are some of the contest details:
* The theme for the project is “I Love Trees Because … “
* Contestants must be a Westmont resident or attending a school located in Westmont
* Contestants must fill out and submit the online contest form by March 11 (link provided below)
* All artwork and essay submissions will be accepted now through March 11 by the Westmont Public Library, 428 N. Cass Avenue, Westmont, IL 60559
* Electronic copies (MS Word, PDF, images/jpgs of hand-written documents, etc.) of all artwork and essay entries must be sent to GREEN@westmont.il.gov
* Entries must be submitted to the Library by end of business day on March 11
* There will be four (4) age groups:
* * K-1-2: Submit artwork or essay up to 100 words
* * 3-4-5: Submit artwork or essay up to 200 words
* * Middle School/6-7-8: Submit artwork or essay - 200-400 words
* * High School: Submit artwork or essay - 300-500 words
* There will be a total of sixteen (16) entries selected - two (2) selections per age group for essays and (2) selections per age group for artwork
* Selected entries will be recognized at a Village Board Meeting
* Selected essays and artwork will be displayed at the Westmont Village Hall during the month of April
* Results will be announced Monday, March 21 on the village website
To register your entry online, please click on the link below. For additional information regarding “green” initiatives in Westmont, visit the EIC’s webpage at: westmont.illinois.gov/GREEN. If you have any questions or comments regarding this contest and all things green in Westmont, please contact the EIC at GREEN@westmont.il.gov or 630-417-0280.