Westmont Chamber of CommerceDaate Issued: March 12, 2013
The Westmont Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Bureau (WCCTB) hosted the Annual Westmont Community Awards Dinner to recognize area individuals and businesses. The Awards Dinner was held on March 11 at the Oak Brook Hills Marriott Resort. WCCTB President Gregg Pill noted that “Over one-hundred and forty Westmont area residents, business owners, and civic leaders attended the Westmont Community Awards program to demonstrate support for our community." The Westmont Chamber along with the Village of Westmont, Illinois Senator Kirk Dillard, Illinois State Representative Patti Bellock, Westmont Park District, Westmont Historical Society, Rotary Club of Westmont and Westmont Special Events Corporation are collectively proud to recognize the individuals and businesses that help contribute to the growth and success of Westmont, in a manner that keeps Westmont a Progressive Village.
During the awards program, the following special community recognitions and awards were presented:
* The Honorable William Rahn, former Mayor of the Village of Westmont was presented several special recognition awards. Presentations were made by Illinois Senator Kirk Dillard’s Office, Illinois State Representative Patti Bellock’s Office, Westmont Park District, Westmont Historical Society, Westmont Lions Club, Westmont Special Events, the Village of Westmont and an Honorary Lifetime Membership from the Westmont Chamber of Commerce. The recognition awards presented focused on the high level of dedicated services and leadership provided by William Rahn during his many years in office.
* The 2012 Westmont Community Improvement Award recognizes individual business property owners and businesses that have improved the appearance of their property. Community Improvement Awards for 2012 were presented by Debby Piha and Gregg Pill to:
1. ARC Advanced Rehabilitation, 337 W. Ogden Avenue2. Bakersfield Restaurant, 330 E. Ogden Avenue3. Canyons Burger, 243 W. 63rd Street4. Center For Dance, 226 N Cass Avenue5. LaLaLi Patisserie, 20 N. Cass Avenue
* Westmont Chamber President, Gregg Pill presented a special recognition award to Mr. Frank Brady and to Alison Clemens for outstanding service in support of the Westmont Chamber and for service to the Chamber Board of Directors. In addition, President Pill presented a special award to Mr. David LaBrash in recognition for his service to the business community in his role as Westmont Chamber President during 2011 & 2012.
* Westmont Special Events Corporation Board Members Karen Mackert and John Chorney presented the “Making Memories Award’ which is designed to recognize individuals that provide an exceptional level of volunteerism to special events within Westmont. The recipient was Mr. Rick Vath, a Westmont resident and member of the Knights of Columbus for his volunteer time and leadership with the Taste of Westmont, Crusin’ Nights and the Rock and Roll Road Rally.
* The Rotary Club of Westmont President Nancy Martens and Ginny Szymski presented Mrs. Linda Sobotka, a Westmont resident with a Paul Harris Award in recognition of her exceptional level of community service and leadership through her long-standing and ongoing local volunteer work.
* The 2012 Educator-of-the-Year Award recognizes a local Educator for their outstanding efforts in their field and to the betterment of the Village of Westmont. This award was presented Gregg Pill and Debby Piha to Ms. Laura Riley for her exceptional work with students and peers at CUSD 201.
* The 2012 Public Safety Officer-of-the-Year Award recognizes a local emergency medical technician, fire fighter, or law enforcement officer for their outstanding efforts in their field and to the betterment of Westmont. This award was presented by Gregg Pill and Debby Piha to Detective Jeff Borgardt, Westmont Police Department for his outstanding level of interaction within the community and for his professional attitude and friendly demeanor that he shares with all.
* The 2012 Roger Westman President’s Award recognizes an individual who has performed outstanding service to the Chamber and the Westmont Community, based on time, talents and abilities. This award was presented to Ms. Kim Lojewski, Westmont Park District by the 2012 Westmont Chamber President David LaBrash for her outstanding level of involvement and support of the Westmont business community and Chamber of Commerce.
* 2012 Westmont Citizen-of-the-Year Award recognizes individuals that reside in Westmont and that have demonstrated exceptional community involvement and leadership. This award was presented to Mr. Hank Anzelone by Westmont Mayor Sue Senicka. Mayor Senicka noted what a strong group of Westmont Citizen of the Year candidates were submitted (Mr. Hank Anzelone, Robert Fleck and Rose Yauk). During the introduction of award candidates, Mayor Senicka quoted from the nomination application “Hank Anzelone is a great organizer and that success is always evident through his hard work that always delivers results.”
* The 2012 Dick Busse Business-of-the-Year Award recognizes a Chamber business that has excelled in community service, business promotion, civic responsibility and contributions to the betterment of the Chamber and the Village of Westmont. This award category received six nominations for 2012. The Dick Busse Business of the Year Award was presented by Gregg Pill and Debby Piha to Phillip’s Flowers & Gifts at 524 North Cass Avenue for their high level and long-standing history of community involvement and support.
In summarizing the event, Westmont Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Bureau President, Gregg Pill noted “The Westmont Community Awards Banquet is an annual tradition in Westmont designed to provide a special opportunity to pause and recognize the many wonderful volunteers, activities and businesses that work to make Westmont a great place to live, work and visit. We accomplished that goal with such a great level of participation. We forward to the next opportunity to recognize our community volunteers.”