News Flash Home
The original item was published from 11/27/2018 11:15:17 AM to 11/2/2022 12:00:05 AM.

News Flash

General Press Releases

Posted on: November 27, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Village Plans For New Public Works Facility - Community Meetings Scheduled Dec. 4 & 11

Westmont, Illinois
Date Issued: November 27, 2018

For many years, the Village of Westmont has been discussing the need for a new Public Works Facility.  At the recent Village Board meeting on November 8, the Village Board and staff discussed options for funding the multi-million dollar project.  Additionally, the Westmont Planning and Zoning Commission recommended moving forward with the new facility.

“Quite simply, we have the worst Public Works facility in DuPage County,” said Public Works Director Mike Ramsey.  “Some of our buildings were only designed to be temporary structures, so they are beyond repair.  The Street Division facility was built on top of the old town garbage dump and has been in poor condition for many years.  Additionally, we need to install new gas pumps within the next few years before we fall out of compliance with EPA standards.  Of course, a project of this scope is costly and we need to determine from where the funds will come.”

The Village of Westmont has reviewed several plans for a new Public Works facility and has chosen the least expensive of 3 proposals, which is estimated to be approximately $16 million. The Village has also reviewed numerous funding mechanisms for this project.  It was decided that several funding resources would be required to bring this project to fruition.  These sources include: General Fund, Public Works Operating Fund, Stormwater Management Fund, and the Water Fund.  Even with all of these existing sources contributing to the project, the Village will still need an additional $5 million for the project.  

The Village Board considered numerous options and is currently investigating a Places For Eating Tax (PFET) in the amount of 0.5%.  This would be in addition to the current 1.5% PFET, bringing the PFET total to 2% in Westmont.  A 2% PFET, along with the current supplemental sales tax for stormwater, would bring Westmont even with several communities in DuPage County already at this rate or higher. 

“We want to make sure that residents and the business community understand the importance of this project,” said Ramsey, “so we have scheduled two community meetings at the Public Works facilities so that citizens can see the situation first-hand.”  The first meeting will be at the Public Works Street Division facility, 328 S. Wilmette on Tuesday, December 4 at 6 p.m.  A second meeting will be at the Public Works Water Division facility, 39 E. Burlington on Tuesday, December 11 at 6 p.m.

The Village Board plans to consider the project financing topic at the Administration-Finance Committee meeting on Thursday, December 6, 2018, 4:30 p.m. and is expected to vote on the proposal at the Village Board Meeting on Thursday, December 20, 2018, 6 p.m.  Both of these meetings will be at the Village Hall, 31 W. Quincy Street, 2nd floor.

If you have any feedback, suggestions, concerns, etc., please contact us at  We appreciate your support and participation during this process.


Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in General Press Releases

Call 811 JULIE Before You Dig

Posted on: March 23, 2023

Free Leaf Collection April 10-14

Posted on: February 9, 2023

Village Offices Closed April 7

Posted on: March 14, 2023

2023 Citizens Fire Academy

Posted on: January 10, 2023

2023 No Mow ‘til Mother’s Day

Posted on: December 15, 2022

Chief Riley Recognizes Fire Personnel

Posted on: March 10, 2023

Village Budget Preparation

Posted on: January 20, 2023

METRA Launches

Posted on: January 18, 2023